Thursday 6 December 2012

Course Swing vs Range Swing

This is something that we all have. Our range swing defers from the course swing. And when you change your swing on the range, you need a couple of sessions on the golf course to groove that swing. That's why I am a strong advocate of walking your club's executive golf course and play a couple of balls and a couple of rounds between range sessions. Also not forgetting to work on your short game, especially pitching and chipping. These courses are always underutilised on weekdays and good place to focus on your swing and play off the grass. Especially, alignment, direction, different lies and ball positions.
Why do I say this? Because was on the course yesterday with my coach to see how my game is progressing and why I am hooking the ball. At the end of the day, he said to me I was doing certain things with my swing that he hasn't see me do on the range. Playing with your pro/ coach is great. You also get to experience playing with a good player and you really know where you stand. On the dog leg right Par 4,  off the front tee, he cuts the ball and it goes long over the green and near the next tee box. Well more adventures another time.
The 3 mistakes I made
1. Alignment is way off. I was standing with a close stance and that promoted a draw/hook.
2. My takeaway wasn't smooth and around enough. Too short and that lends to releasing the club head too soon that leads to grounding the club too soon, loss of lag and occasionally causes an out-to-in swing. This out-to-in causes a cut fade right or pull left. Mainly for me pull left, worsening the leftness of the shot.
3. Over supination/ external rotation of the left forearm. When at address I hinge the club up, it is square. But  after impact, returning the club back to address and hinging up the club was closed. Wasn't due to slippage of the grip, but rather the supination of the forearm. Have to resist flipping the arms and let the clubhead go through square at impact, extend the arms then let the club head go around the body and end with hands higher then the clubhead. (Not easy to visualise this)
Need to work on these 3 and my game will be coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.